What exactly is a dryer vent?
A dryer vent is actually the duct work and/or hosing that run from the dryer, through the wall(s), and to the vent hood located on the exterior of the home (usually on a side wall or on the roof).
How does the dryer vent function?
The dryer vent is a ventilation system that connects your dryer to the outside of the house. Your dryer blows hot air through your wet clothes to dry them and this hot air blows out of the house through the dryer vent, along with pieces of lint.
How often should I have my dryer vent cleaned?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommend annual dryer duct inspections and/or cleanings to ensure safer and often cheaper operation of your appliance. Frequency of duct cleaning will depend on several factors including how often it is used, if there are pets, how long the appliance is run and how many bends are in the ducts.
Here is a general guideline based on how many loads you dry per week:
1 – 3 loads a week, should be cleaned approximately every 2 years.
4 – 7 loads a week, should be cleaned annually.
8+ a week should receive cleanings about every 6 months. But this can change based on the layout of your dryer duct…
We believe that the following factors could mean more frequent cleanings should take place:
- How often is your dryer used?
- Is your dryer over 10 years old?
- Is it full size or small stackable dryer?
- Is your vent over 5 feet long?
- Does your vent have several bends or elbow joints?
- Do you have a bird guard covering your exhaust exit?
Can I clean my dryer vents myself?
We do not recommend cleaning your dryer vent yourself, as simple as it looks and sounds it can become very complicated very quickly. Hinman’s Dryer Vent Cleaning uses high quality equipment that can clean your vents in a very thorough and efficient manner. We also perform before and after testing to test for resistance and airflow.
How long does it take to have my vent cleaned?
Typically about one hour. The amount of time may vary due to length of vent, amount of build up and unexpected issues such as obstructions or pinched duct work.
Does a technician have to come into my house?
Yes, a technician has to enter your home to access the exhaust duct from behind the dryer.
What are some warning signs that I need to have my dryer vent cleaned?
- The drying time for your clothing takes longer and longer. Every clothes dryer duct system is different, but one thing is certain: A clogged dryer duct can increase the amount of time it takes to dry clothing by double or triple the time. What once used to take a thirty minute dry cycle now is taking sometimes up to two hours to dry. Most people don’t quite experience those extreme time differences but in our experience 60-70% of people will notice that after one cycle that their clothes aren’t quite dry yet and will restart the cycle again. Clothing that takes twice as long to dry is not only an energy waster, but also a fire hazard. This also adds much more wear and tear on the machine and cut the life of your dryer in half.
- Your clothing and the outside of the dryer are very hot. Do you notice that the dryer is especially hot to the touch or that the clothing are much hotter at the end of the drying cycle? If the dryer duct becomes clogged it makes it so the heat can’t escape the machine properly. This can cause the heating element or the blower to wear out or overheat. In time this will break the dryer and cause the need for costly repairs or possibly replacement. You should also read our information on the dangers of a clogged dryer duct.
- Burning smell. Do you smell a burning odor when you run your dryer? Lint Is extremely flammable, and if this trapped lint gets too hot, it can catch on fire. If you start to smell a burning odor while running your dryer, stop and get it inspected.
- Outside vent hood is clogged or doesn’t open. The outside vent opening of the dryer duct sometimes has a flap that opens and closes. If this flap isn’t opening while the dryer is running then it is most likely clogged. Dryer ducts are also favored by critters (birds, rodents and reptiles) to hide because it can stay nice and warm for them. If this outlet doesn’t have a flap and it’s just an opening sometimes birds make nests inside this and cause clogs.
What does the code on my dryer mean?
Samsung dryers – Clg or CG: These test results mean there’s a clog somewhere in your vent system that needs to be cleared. C8 or C80: This blockage test result means your vent is 80% clogged. Clean your vent system, so your dryer can run as intended. C9 or C90: If you see either of these codes, it means your vent system is 90% clogged.
Whirpool dryers – An AF (Restricted Air Flow) or “Check Vent” error code indicates that the lint screen or vent is clogged; the vent is crushed, kinked, or has too many turns. The dryer will continue to run when the is error is present. Touch any key to clear the code from the display and return to the estimated time remaining.
LG dryers – When your LG dryer is displaying the D80 error code, this means that you have a ventilation blockage of 80%. This indicates that your air exhaust is not able to push enough air out from your dryer. The main cause of this problem is a buildup of lint in the exhaust hose or another part of the ventilation system.
Maytag dryers – An AF (Restricted Air Flow) error code indicates that the lint screen or house vent is clogged; the vent may be crushed, kinked or have too many turns. The dryer will continue to run when the is error is present. Touch any key to clear the code from the display and return to the estimated time remaining.
GE dryers – A faulty dryer vent, such as a blocked or restricted exhaust vent, can cause the error code dF5 on your GE Dryer. If the vent is obstructed, the dryer cannot expel hot air properly, leading to overheating and the triggering of the error code dF5. Inspect the vent for any obstructions and clear them if necessary.
Amana – An AF (Restricted Air Flow) error code indicates that the lint screen or house vent is clogged; the vent may be crushed, kinked or have too many turns. The dryer will continue to run when the is error is present. Touch any key to clear the code from the display and return to the estimated time remaining.